We are loosing 200 people a day to the opioid crisis. I have personally battled this – i lost my mom to addiction and my brother is in recovery. The question that plagued me for so long is: HOW DO I HELP MY LOVED ONE?
My guest today is going to share what we can do to help our loved ones get help. Her name is Andrea Arlington, she is a former model, her family was on the reality show, Pretty Wild on E! and she has had a lot of experience dealing with people with substance abuse disorder. Andrea is now a life coach and founder of Families United for Recovery, which has a success rate of 70% (this is amazing and almost unheard of)
She shares we need to fix the old ways of family recovery. And that the advice that we so often hear, let them hit rock bottom is actually the wrong thing to do. That when we let them hit rock bottom, we are sending them the message that they aren’t good enough. That instead, we need to look at the underlying issues/ needs that aren’t being met. That we need to ditch the shaming, blaming and find connection and empathy.
She gives a step by step strategy and shares the difference between enabling and supporting. This interview is just the tip of the iceberg but I sincerely hope it helps anyone dealing with a loved one who has substance abuse disorder. Please know you are NOT alone. I hope this gives some much needed help.
- 2:00- who Andrea is and her experience with addiction
- 5:11- is addiction is hereditary
- 7:00 – bling ring burglaries- how to deal with child who is facing jail time
- 9:52- old model of family recovery needs to be fixed- we are loosing 200/day
- 11:00 then what should we do to help them with their recovery
- 19:00 loving, leverage and connection (how to use leverage to help addict)
- 20:00 enabling or supportive